Your children sleep on their beds for 7 to 12 hours each day, so you can imagine how much the toxic elements in their mattresses can affect their health. Their sleep should be helping them recover energy and develop their bodies, not contaminating their lungs and brains or making them sick. Learning about the toxicity of typical beds and old mattresses should convince you to shift to a healthier organic mattress from Los Angeles.
Toxic and Old Mattresses: Effects on Children
Most ordinary mattresses contain toxic chemicals. Some of these hazardous elements are brominated and chlorinated flame retardants (BFRs and CFRs), such as polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs). They accumulate in human beings and their environments. These chemicals have been associated with brain damage in fetuses, hormonal dysfunctions, and cancer, according to the 30th International Symposium on Halogenated Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) last month. Mattresses older than 8 years can be harmful too. Hazardous chemicals in old mattresses do not fully dissipate and continue to gas off. Foam also breaks down in time and becomes airborne. Old mattresses tend to have more bacteria, fungi, and dust mites, resulting in worsened allergies and asthma attacks among children and adults alike.
Shifting to Organic Mattresses
Instead of lying on toxic beds, you can buy organic mattresses for you and your children. Not all organic beds are authentic, however. Some claim to be organic and yet only have a fraction of organic materials. Consumer Reports, a non-profit organization aiming for safer and healthier products, determined that the most trustworthy brands have certifications from either the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) or the Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS). These labels require mattresses to be made of 95% certified organic materials only. For the remaining 5%, they prohibit flame retardant chemicals and toxic dyes. Organic beds tend to be more expensive, but they are worth the price because they are healthier and safer alternatives. They are highly recommended for people with allergies and asthma.
Toxic and old mattresses harm you and your kids in the long run. If you’re pregnant, flame retardant chemicals in your mattress may be harming your unborn child too. To sleep better, you should consider buying an organic mattress. It can give you and your children, not only a good night’s sleep, but healthier days as well.
“Kids Beds are a Source of Chemical Exposure,” Jane Sheppard McMillan, Healthy Child, February 3, 2016
“Organic Mattress Labels You Can Trust,” Ed Perratore, Consumer Reports, December 15, 2015
“Scientists Raise Concerns About Flame Retardants,” Robert Preidt, Healthy Day, 2010