Today, health-conscious consumers prefer products tagged as “organic” and “all-natural”. The mattress industry has definitely joined the bandwagon of marketing a product billed as non-toxic or eco-friendly.
The rise in the number of shoppers for an organic mattress should be enough proof that the industry is doing well in converting consumers from their previous bedding of choice. However, with many brands and many fledgling organic mattress manufacturers on the market today, you can’t help but wonder whether you are buying a genuinely organic mattress or just wasting your hard-earned money on ersatz organic?
Why buy an organic mattress?
Before getting right into the tips, you must first understand the reason why you need to consider purchasing an organic mattress. Some consumers, particularly mothers with young kids, are deeply concerned with the harmful chemicals that might adversely affect their sleeping children.
Since an ordinary mattress might be coated with fire-retardants and other chemicals to comply with government standards, consumers understandably try to search for a non-toxic, organic bed.
Looking beyond the label
First off, understand that the labels “natural” and “organic” are both meaningless if your mattress doesn’t show the certifications to back it up. A truly organic mattress must be made of at least 95% certified organic materials to be considered genuine. Since mattresses don’t come with an ingredients list like ones seen on food labels, look for logos of reputable certifying bodies attached to the mattress.
When purchasing an organic mattress, look for either the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) logo or the Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) logo. These third-party certifying bodies have the most stringent qualifications that only a genuinely organic mattress can pass.
What GOTS and GOLS logos on an organic mattress mean
Those with the GOTS logo are guaranteed to have at least 95% certified organic materials in their composition. You can also be confident that the other 5% won’t contain harmful chemicals such as polyurethane and flame retardants, as the GOTS strictly prohibits such additions.
On the other hand, GOLS only gives their sign of approval on mattresses that are made with 95% organic latex. The other 5% of its components are strictly restricted to the third-party’s standards to guarantee that no harmful chemical passes through.
Other certifying logos to look for
In addition to these two logos, you can also try to look for an Oeko-Tex Standard 100 certification. While this logo does not ensure that every fiber in the mattress is organically made, it does guarantee that the mattress only emits negligible amounts of harmful chemicals like formaldehyde and other VOCs. The standard also prohibits the use of flame retardants and other potential allergens, such as dyes.
Don’t be fooled by bogus labels. If you are not sure with the organic mattress brand you are eyeing, ask your mattress dealer to show you the three critical certifications to guarantee that you are truly getting your money’s worth.
What to Avoid When Buying a Non-toxic Mattress, BeWell.com
Organic Mattress Labels You Can Trust, ConsumerReports.org