With a third of your life spent sleeping, you should lie on a bed that gives you a good night’s rest without damaging your health in the long run. Ordinary mattresses usually have chemicals that are bad for your wellbeing.
To reduce toxic chemicals, a number of bed manufacturers offer different types of organic mattresses. Natural or organic beds, however, should have the right certifications to ensure you are getting the right product. Consumer Reports evaluated several labels and recommended reliable organic mattresses certifications on products available in Los Angeles.
The Shocking Toxic Materials of Typical Mattresses
Many beds for sale today are full of harmful chemicals. Typical mattresses have been sprayed with chemical flame retardants, as well as formaldehyde and volatile organic compounds. Some of the possible negative effects of long-term exposure to these chemicals are respiratory irritation, hormonal disruptions, and cancer.
Flame retardants usually contain polybrominated diphenyl ether or PBDE, which have been linked to brain and reproductive illnesses, lower sperm quality, thyroid problems, and cancer. These health hazards can make anyone think twice about in lying on their bed again and compel them to consider buying alternative mattresses which are much healthier choices.
Trustworthy Organic Mattresses Labels to Look For
Consumer Reports, an independent and non-profit organization which tests products and supports fair trade and healthy brands, warns customers against purchasing organic mattress with unreliable certifications. It stresses that not all natural or organic beds are made using stringent standards, especially in the absence of strict government regulation.
A mattress that’s truly organic should contain at least 95 percent certified organic materials, according to Consumer Reports. It must also not be exposed to potentially harmful chemicals during the production process.
After a rigorous analysis of several organic mattresses of different brands, Consumer Reports determined that two mattress labels specifically met the most stringent standards: the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) and the Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) for mattresses containing latex.
GOTS necessitates bed makers to use certified organic products for at least 95 percent of its mattress materials, while prohibiting particular elements for the remaining 5%, such as flame retardant chemicals and polyurethane. GOLS requires the use of organic latex too with specific restrictions on 5 percent of remaining components. Natural-latex mattresses may include GOTS and GOLS labels equally. Regardless of the brand, Consumer Reports recommended airing out new mattresses for at least 48 hours. This procedure can reduce harmful chemicals.
In Los Angeles, several stores sell mattresses with GOLS or GOTS certification. These labels ensure that organic mattresses pass stringent quality standards for the greater benefit of consumers.
“Buyer Beware: New Mattresses Can Contain Toxic Chemicals,” Ross McLaughlin and Lisa Green, CTV Vancouver, Jan. 26, 2016
“Organic Mattress Labels You Can Trust,” Ed Perratore, Consumer Reports, December 15, 2015
“Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers (PBDEs): New Pollutants–Old Diseases,” Muhammad Akmal Siddiqi, Ronald H. Laessig, and Kurt D. Reed, Clinical Medicine & Research,
Volume 1, Number 4, pp. 281-290,