If you don’t know it yet, your bed may contain harmful chemicals which are bad for your health. The usual mattress contains flame retardant chemicals, such as polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs), and other elements, namely formaldehyde, perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) and perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA). These chemicals have been associated with neonatal brain damage, as well as hormonal disruptions, respiratory illnesses, and cancer.
Since we spend a third of our lives sleeping, constant exposure to these toxic elements are detrimental to our wellbeing. Buying an organic mattress can reduce hazardous chemical exposure, but you also need to know what to look for in an organic mattress store to get the best deals.
Certified Organic Brands
Not all organic or natural mattresses are authentic, so it is essential to buy from a store that carries certified brands. Consumer Reports, a non-profit organization dedicated to testing products and finding healthy and safe brands, evaluated different kinds of organic mattresses. They determined that the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) and the Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) are the most trustworthy certifications because of their stringent standards.
Both require bed makers to use certified organic substances for 95% of their materials. GOTS prohibits the use of flame retardant chemicals and polyurethane for the remaining 5%. GOLS also restricts harmful chemicals for the other 5% of organic mattress materials.
A good organic mattress store also offers variety. Certifications from GOLS or GOTS are indispensable, but consumers should also be able to test several brands. After all, they have different design and size preferences, as well as financial capacities. Organic beds tend to be expensive, so more affordable brands have to be available too.
Having a wide range of prices can help consumers get the best deals. It only goes to show, then, that a reliable organic mattress store offers different brands for diverse consumer tastes and budgets.
Apart from certified organic brands and variety, a good organic mattress store offers excellent customer service. Some of the hallmarks of high-quality customer service are comprehensive and deep product knowledge and the ability to respond to exact customer preferences. Some stores have “sleep specialists” who are experienced in matching mattress brands and types to specific customer sleeping habits and needs.
Finally, these specialists know that customers have to test each mattress they want for at least ten to twenty minutes. Napping on these beds, for instance, allows them to determine if the mattress has the right firmness for their backs.
Together, these elements can make organic mattress shopping a pleasant experience, where customers can find the best organic bed to fit their personal preferences and financial means.
“Neonatal Exposure to PFOS and PFOA in Mice Results in Changes in Proteins which are Important for Neuronal Growth and Synaptogenesis in the Developing Brain,”
Niclas Johansson, Per Eriksson and Henrik Viberg, Toxicological Sciences: Oxford Journals, (2009) 108 (2): 412-418
“Organic Mattress Labels You Can Trust,” Ed Perratore, Consumer Reports, December 15, 2015